The Chronicle: Stay Safe Online
60 percent of Australians actively use social media. Half of us every day.
But in the age of over sharing, how often do you think about who sees what you post? Or, more importantly, who keeps that information?
In April, 310,000 Australian Facebook users discovered their personal information may have been accessed unknowingly.
So there has never been a better time to check your social media privacy settings.
Here’s some tips on how to stay smart online:
- Understand your privacy settings and check them regularly.
- Don’t accept or add friends you don’t know.
- Protect your location. Turn off geo-tracking apps and don’t “check in” at home or a friend’s house to avoid sharing the exact address online.
- Limit the applications you use – they store your data.
- Don’t overshare. Your home address, family members and birthday are all easy targets for identity thieves.