Questions to Coalition remain unanswered
Last week the Member for Canberra, Gai Brodtmann MP, asked incoming Prime Minister Tony Abbott to explain the significant changes announced to the Australian Public Service.
One week on and those questions remain unanswered.
“Almost immediately after being sworn in, the Abbott Government announced a significant shake up to the public service, including substantial changes to the aid, regional Australia, science and resource portfolios,” Ms Brodtmann said.
“But what do these changes mean for the employees of these Departments?”
The questions Ms Brodtmann says the Coalition Government must answer are:
- Will all existing employees in re-structured departments be absorbed?
- If they aren’t absorbed, are they part of the plan to get rid of 12,000 – 20,000 public servants, or are they additional cuts?
- Will re-structured departments move location?
- If so, which departments and from where, to where?
- How many public servants in the electorate of Canberra will lose their job by Christmas?
“We already know that the Abbott Government wants to cut at least 12,000-20,000 public service jobs, and move more out of Canberra. The changes announced last week reiterate Prime Minister Abbott’s disdain for Canberra and contempt for the public service.
“If Prime Minister Abbott is determined to hurt Canberra, the least he could do is be up front about it.”