I know that many Canberrans share my concerns about the future of the public service in Canberra, with the new Abbott Government promising to cut at least 12,000 – 20,000 jobs and move thousands more interstate.
In 1996 I lost my own job as part of the Howard Government’s public service job cuts, so I know first-hand the devastation of mass job losses. You can read about my own experience in this City News article.
I will fight to protect Canberra jobs, and work with Canberrans to ensure our city isn’t decimated by these plans. You can find my latest press releases and speeches on the Abbott Government’s planned job cuts below:
- Department of Health employees nervously await cuts
- ACT Federal Labor representatives call on Zed to come clean as government's natural attrition line comes unstuck
- Hiring freeze demonstrates the Abbott Government’s disdain for the public service
- Gai Brodtmann calls for transparency in AusAID-DFAT integration
- Coalition to cut a public service job every hour
- Defence employees nervously await cuts
- Two weeks on, and nothing but uncertainty for Canberra
- Questions to Coalition remain unanswered
- Public service changes signal a warning for the Canberra property market
- Tony Abbott must answer questions on public service changes
- How does Senator Johnston plan to 'trim' Defence?
- Australian Civilian Corps Amendment Bill 2013