Donate for Life Walk 2013
Gai Brodtmann, the Member for Canberra, will join thousands of Canberrans to participate in the 2013 Gift of Life's annual DonateLife Walk to raise awareness of organ and tissue donation.
DonateLife Walk is sponsored by the Australian Government’s Organ and Tissue Authority, which promotes the national reform agenda in this sector.
The DonateLife walk commences at Regatta Point on Wednesday 27 February from 6.45 am to 9.00 am.
“As a volunteer with Gift of Life I have met with many donor families, recipients and people awaiting a transplant who all want to improve Australia’s low organ donor rates,” Ms Brodtmann said.
“The latest research highlights the importance of discussing organ donation with your family and letting them know your wishes.”
According to the research, a majority of Australians surveyed (86%) would agree to donation if they knew their family member was willing to become an organ donor; yet, only 56% of people would agree to donation if the wishes of the deceased were unknown.
“As a result of the reforms Labor has introduced, organ and tissue donation rates in Australia have progressively increased.
In 2012, the number of organ donors and transplant recipients was the highest since national records began with 354 organ donors, giving 1,052 Australians a second chance at life.
Canberrans can support DonateLife Week by:
- Sharing your decision about organ and tissue donation with your family and friends
- Following @DonateLifeToday
- Adding a "DonateLife Twibbon" badge to your Facebook and/or Twitter profile picturehttp://twibbon.com/Support/donatelife-week
- Becoming a fan of DonateLife Week on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/DonateLifeAustralia
- Registering your donation decision at www.donatelife.gov.au/decide
- Sharing your story about organ donation with the community via the DonateLife website
- Promoting DonateLife Week in your workplace or community organisation.
For a list of events in your state visit donatelife.gov.au